Activities for kids who love tennis. Check out how to become a ball person and find out what happens at Kids' Day.
If you are an American tennis-lover, you've likely known that Labor Day is dedicated to watching the US Open in Flushing Queens. I've been to the event a few times and it's awesome. This year will be a little different, and we're staying up to date on the event and family opportunities.
Related: Family visit to Hudson Yards in NYC
Information about the 2022 US Open
This year the US Open will take place from August 29th to September 11th, 2022. This year the event fans are welcome back to the stadium and tickets are on sale.
The United States Open Tennis Championships harkens back to 1881 is a hard court tennis tournament and part of tennis' Grand Slam.
Get more details about the event and purchase tickets here www.usopen.org
Ballperson Tryouts for US Open 2022
NOTE: Applications will close on Sunday, June 5 at 5 p.m. and successful candidates will be contacted shortly after.
The US Open team will be selecting a designated number from the applications to attend an in-person tryout.
NOTE: All Ball Crew members are responsible for their own accommodation and travel.
To be considered for selection you must:
- Be at least 14 years of age by July 1, 2022 (If selected and under the age of 18, valid NYS working papers are required)
- Be available for tryouts the week of June 13th, 2022 and available during the US Open Qualifying and Main Draw tournaments August 23 - September 11.
Safety Protocols and proof of vaccine required, may include COVID-19 testing and booster requirement.
Have a resume and cover letter
Benefits of being a US Open Ball Person:
- Having an amazing summer job
- Each Ball Person will be paid an hourly wage and a normal day is approximately 8 hours, which includes a meal break
- Polo Ralph Lauren uniforms are supplied and can be kept at the conclusion of the event
- being part of a unique team
- sharing the court with the world's best tennis players
Normally, 80 kids will get an awesome summer job from this program.
Kids Day at the US Open
Each year there is a family festival as part of the tennis tournament. Activities include tennis on 14 courts, and a wide range of interactive activities for children of all ages and skill levels organized by Net Generation.
Net Generation, official youth tennis of the USTA, is a celebration of a game where no one sits on the sidelines. It's easy to learn and tailored for all ages and abilities, giving kids a game that will help them build friendships and learn skills they'll use for life. This year kids will need to watch the fun online.
Get more information about Net Generation here.
PLAN YOUR NYC VISIT
Check out our NYC page for things to see and do in NYC and don't miss these highlights.
- Favorite Museums in NYC for kids
- Favorite Family Friendly NYC restaurants
- Things to do with kids in NYC
Use Pinterest to save your favorite NYC outings. Be sure to follow our New York City board here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.