We have a FREE downloadable Nature Scavenger Hunt printable that has been hugely popular over the years. I wanted to share this fun activity with you again today!
Every spring, as the weather became nicer and nicer we spent more and more time outdoors. We did this scavenger hunt for years. I know we’re not alone because this printable has gotten well over 75,000 downloads since I first made it years ago!! At the time, my blog was under the Parents.com umbrella so we had pretty wide reach!
We found a lot of cool critters that very first year we did it:
I shared this many years ago (my girls are now 14 and 16 years old, but aren’t they cute in the pics below?!! Yes, Mom bias showing through!). Here’s what I wrote back then:
Spring has finally arrived here, so it’s time to boot the kids outside for our annual Nature Scavenger Hunt! There are so many great reasons for going outside this time of year!
You can download a copy of our Nature Scavenger Hunt by clicking on the link or the picture below. It’s free to download. Enjoy! ~Liesl
Click here to save this Nature Scavenger Hunt on Pinterest!
Here are some other Scavenger Hunts I’ve made for the kids:
- Photo Hunt — One year, I sent the kids out with cameras and had them take pictures of everything from a fence and stump, to another person’s hand and a flock of birds. You can download the Photo Scavenger Hunt by clicking on the link or photo below. It is free to download as well:
- I made another Second Nature Scavenger Hunt that is a bit more challenging for the kids one year. They spent close to three hours hunting for the creatures on this list… This second scavenger hunt is probably best near a creek/pond. We have one that runs through the back of our yard, so I had the kids try to find algae, a frog, toad or lizard, etc.
We really love going out this time of year! What about you?!
Don’t miss our latest Outdoor Scavenger Hunt with QR Codes! The kids were SUPER excited about this!!
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well. I’ve chosen not to use pop-up boxes at this point, but you can click here to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter!
Happy Homeschooling, everyone!! ~Liesl
You might also enjoy these posts and resources:
If your kids love animals & nature as much as mine, you might also be interested in our Big Animal BUNDLE: More details about the Big Animal Bundle here
The Big Animal BUNDLE includes 8 packets. 1) Animal Unit, 2) World Animals Packet, 3) Rainforest Packet, 4) Life Cycles Packet, 5) Winter Packet – plus 6) the Cicadas Packet 7) the Chameleon Packet and 8) the Wolves Mini-Unit. These Animal Units can each be purchased individually as well. More details about the Big Animal Bundle here
These units are also sold separately. Visit this page for more details: Big Animal Bundle page.
These posts might also be helpful:
- Free Planets of the Solar System Pages (this includes some tracing pages and Montessori 3-part cards)
- Brush Your Teeth Experiment (This was a fun activity!)
- Simple Machines – My kids loved all the hands-on activities you can do with this unit!!
- Five Senses Packet – Early Elementary (ages 4-9 or so)
We have lots of different unit studies. Among our most popular these days are our Earth Science and Biology Units
- Earth Science We first did this unit when my kids were about 4, 6 and 8. They loved the hands on activities. Then we did this again several times over the years, going into more detail.
- Layers of the Atmosphere
- Clouds, Winds and Weather
- Electricity and Circuits Unit
- Biosphere — ie. Biomes, Ecosystems, Habitats, Food Chain, Symbiosis and more! We did this unit a couple of times as well covering the material first when they were in elementary and going into much more detail when they were in middle school.
- Ocean Unit
- The Botany Unit is often popular in the spring for learning the parts of a seed, parts of a flower. My daughter loved the Carnivorous Plants portion of that unit (included in the Botany Unit).
I get asked what ages are packets are for. I created this (free) science checklist and tried to cover many of those units from K-8th. I created packets for my 3 kids (who are each 2 years apart) along the way. As they got older, we often did the unit/s again. For example, we did the Earth Science Unit when the kids were in early elementary, again a few years later and again when my son was in 9th grade (age 14). That is similar for many of our units… doing most of these units when the kids were younger and again when they were older. Each time I added more materials to the packet. So, our units are suitable for a homeschool family with kids of different ages. If you have a specific question, though, feel free to email me! ~Liesl
- Dinosaur Unit – This unit is more than 100 pages and includes a variety of activities from PreK to early elementary!
Again, each of these units includes hands-on activity ideas that we did to help make the units come alive for the kids! Skeletal System, Digestive System, Circulatory System, etc.
The skeletal system and digestive system packets both have a lot of fun hands-on activities that are great for younger kids!
You might also enjoy this FREE Math Game Board for practicing math facts… from simple number recognition or addition & subtraction to multiplication/division and more!!
Be sure to check out our Multiplication/Division BUNDLE with more than 20 PDFs of activities, games and worksheets for learning the 2s through 12s!
Making Learning Fun!! Happy Homeschooling!!
See you again soon here or over at our Homeschool Den Facebook Page! Don’t forget to Subscribe to our Homeschool Den Newsletter. You might also want to check out some of our resources pages above (such as our Science, Language Arts, or History Units Resource Pages) which have links to dozens of posts. You might want to join our free Homeschool Den Chat Facebook group. Don’t forget to check out Our Store as well. ~Liesl
Again, if you are interested in joining our Homeschool Den Newsletter, feel free to subscribe here. It’s a great way to hear about our latest packets and to learn about many of the hundreds of printables & other materials we have tucked away on the blog!
The post Free Nature Scavenger Hunt Printable appeared first on Homeschool Den.